.

Woman Injured in Bayville Fire

Woman sustained burns after gas leak ignites in kitchen.

A woman was hospitalized Saturday afternoon after an accidental fire in her Bayville home.

Nassau County Police and Bayville Fire Department responded to the Bayville home on Wilson Avenue at about 12:20 p.m. Saturday, police said.

According to Nassau County Police Department, a 62-year-old woman was in her kitchen when the gas burners on her stove suddenly ignited. She told police that when she attempted to extinguish the blaze, she herself caught fire, cops said. The woman's 62-year-old husband quickly smothered the flames, which had spread across her face, head, and jacket, cops said.

Get updates on local crime stories delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.

Investigations revealed a leak in the flex line from the gas connection in the back of the stove, cops reported. The search also revealed that candles were being used close to the stove on the kitchen counter, police said.

The woman was airlifted to a nearby hospital for treatment of second degree burns, cops said.

The fire caused moderate damage to the house, police reported. Detectives said the woman's injuries were the only ones sustained in the fire.

Detectives say the fire has been deemed non-suspicious.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »